Ocean Therapy: Surfing For Autism In Its 6th Year
If there is one thing that brings Outer Bankers together it is philanthropy. We’re a small community with a big heart. One of the most loved events in our community, and specifically in our surfing community, is Surfing For Autism.
If you’re not familiar with it, Surfing For Autism is an event designed to extend the therapeutic benefits of surfing to individuals and families that are impacted by Autism Spectrum Disorder. In doing so, it also raises Autism awareness in our community and our social consciousness.
Towns and cities all around the nation organize runs and walks to achieve similar goals, but we have the unique opportunity to use our most precious resource: Mother Ocean. The ocean provides a sensory experience and therapeutic benefits unlike any other and Surfing For Autism has been tapping into them for the last six years.
For more information on this event and how you can get involved, visit www.surfingforautism.org
Here is a look at the schedule for this year’s event:
THURSDAY, AUGUST 13
OPEN HOUSE @ THE NC AQUARIUM ON ROANOKE ISLAND
- 6:00pm-8:30pm – Participants and volunteers are welcome to enjoy the NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island for FREE. There will be a donation box for anyone who would like to donate to the Aquarium.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 14
MEET AND GREET @ JENNETTE’S PIER
- 5:30pm-8:00pm – Merchandise will be available for purchase (t-shirts, hats, etc).
- 5:30pm-6:30pm – Dinner and mingling.
- 6:30pm-8:30pm – Siblings of the child with autism will get a fishing lesson, and fish for a bit.
- 6:30pm-8:30pm – Individuals with autism will head down to the sand and practice surfing skills in the sand.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 15
- 9:00am-1:00pm – Individuals with autism go surfing.
- 1:15pm-1:45pm – Lunch for volunteers, family and individuals with autism.
Photos by Bob Sumner of Shoot the Beach Photography
And here is a video to give participants, but also anyone and everyone, an idea of what they can expect:
Be informed on what's happening on the Outer Banks and never miss an event. Subscribe today and we'll deliver all the goods directly to your email account. It's easy.
Click here to subscribe:
If you like this, you may also like:
Here’s a look back on some of the A+ surf we had on March 9, 2020. Adrian Dillenseger shares a… Read More
Quentin Turko just released a 10 minute video highlighting (1) years worth of some of the best swells on the… Read More